Modern smart phones, specifically Apple and Android phones, record our every move using highly accurate GPS. They use this information to provide a variety of services including mapping and location based reminders. But how secure is this information? Is your privacy at risk? Is there any way to shut this down? All of this and more is explored on this episode of SmartTech.
As you heard in the podcast, location tracking can be useful for many services and it is very secure on Apple devices. But if you want to shut off that feature, here is how you do it on Apple and Android devices:
- Click “Settings”
- Go to “Privacy”
- Select “Location Services”
- Scroll down to “System Services”
- Choose “Frequent Locations” to see the logged record of where you’ve been. De-select this to turn it off.
You can also clear your history here by clicking “Clear History.”
- Open the App Drawer and go to “Settings”
- Scroll down and tap “Location”
- Scroll down and tap “Google Location Settings”
- Tap “Location Reporting” and “Location History” and switch the slider to off for each one.
- To delete your device’s location cache, tap “Delete Location History” at the bottom of the screen under “Location History.”
- Repeat this process for each Google Account you have on your Android device.
Your Phone Knows Your Every Move!
It is amazing how, when a year comes to an end, we tend to forget all of the things that have happened. 2017 has been a crazy year in a lot of ways, but it has been a diverse technology related year. So in this episode I review some of the technological events of note through the eyes of the SmartTech podcast. Be sure to share your favorite technology related events or gadgets in our comment section or on our Facebook page.
Illustration provided by Pond5
The Apple watch. It makes us all Dick Tracy. (If you don’t know who he is, Google it!) If you own one, we will help you use it efficiently by reviewing 10 (maybe 11) apps. If you are NOT an Apple watch user and wonder what this is all about, you can find your answers here.
Yes it’s here! One of my favorite episodes of the year. My picks for great technology based gifts. A couple may surprise you! Maybe you have some favorites that I missed. No worries, just leave your picks in the comments below or on our Facebook page. I would love to hear what catches your eye this year. Each pick on my list has a link below and by using those links to purchase, you help SmartTech while getting the best price around.
Equifax, one of the largest collectors of data about you in the world was hacked AGAIN! Learn about what this new hack and the last hack means for you AND how you protect yourself.